Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Top Ten Kids Books - Mom Recommends!

The Complete Book of Farmyard Tales w/ CD
I admit, my favorite thing about this book is that I can pop the CD in and let my preschooler flip through the pages, being read to and entertained! (Sometimes moms just need time to breathe!) Other reasons to love this book are that there is a ducky hidden on every page that kids love to find, it is a combined volume (20 stories in one book!), and it is a dual reader. A duel reader is a book that has simple text on the top of each page and more descriptive text on the bottom. Great for reading together with your new reader... or using the abbreviated version at bedtime! 
Animal Hide - and - Seek
I love this book for little babies, toddlers, and even preschoolers. It is larger than your average board book, and the pages are filled with not just one, but many, textures for little fingers to touch
How Big is a Million?
My heart melts every time I journey with my kids and Pipkin the Penguin to find a million. Beautifully illustrated pages and a charming story. If that isn't enough, there is a giant poster tucked into the back of the book with a MILLION stars on it. Kids love the poster surprise at the end! I smile any time my kids pick a book from the Pipkin series off the shelf. (Complete collection available as well, saving money...and again, I like that!)
Busy Truck 
For busy hands that are beginning to manipulate puzzles, this busy truck travels through the town while fitting into each page. 
Pull - back Busy Bug Book
You can't go wrong with the Pull - back series books. Colorful pages full of adventure, and best o f all there is a track on every page that this little bug zooms around on. This book has entertained my kids for hours!  (Also available: Busy Car)
First Reading Box Set
Simple and entertaining, these books are great to read to your Pre K and K students or for your new reader to begin with! I love that it comes in a box set, because it saves money...and I like that!  



Children's Encyclopedia - Internet Linked
Ok, maybe not a book you would expect to see on a Kids Top Book List! Yet, I love this book because by reading one page a day with my children, we learn (or for me, relearn!) about the basics of the earth, weather, animals, etc. I find it fascinating and a worthwhile investment in my children's education. The other reason I love this book is because it is internet linked. That means if that at the touch of a mouse, another whole world of learning opens up to me. By typing in the link on each page in the book, my computer screen is suddenly filled with internet resources on that topic. A huge  asset to parents of children doing science projects or research papers! 
The Gobble Gobble Moooooo Tractor Book
A book about animals pretending to drive a tractor...using their voices to make the sounds... If your kids like to MOOOO, BAAA, or GOBBLE, then I've said enough! 
Need one more reason why kids love this book? It has a full fold out center, make a book bigger than expected and you've got smiling kids. 
See Inside Your Body
The human body is fascinating. I love the flaps that open to reveal all kinds of facts about how it works. This book is entertaining and educational for Pre K and K students, and older children can read it in greater depth. Great to have around when kids are studying the human body.


There's a Mouse About the House! 
When I first saw this book, I could not understand why on earth it would be the Usborne Best Seller. That was until my daughter opened it up...and I didn't see her for two hours. Each page has a slit and a dashed line for your child to take the mouse on a journey passing through one page to the next. I hate to give away the ending, but I promise your kids will be saying, "Let's Do it Again!" (Also available: A Squirrels Tale)

No comments:

Post a Comment